10.30.2010

The Perfect Song

So I’m typing this from 39,000 feet in the air. Once we reached the magical altitude where an ipod no longer can cause a plane crash, the earbuds were in. During “Another One Bites the Dust”, I convinced myself that I was going to try to remember every song that played until it was time to turn off all electronic devices in preparation for landing.... Kind of like my own version of one of those youth group games where you’re all going on a hypothetical trip, and you have to remember what each person is bringing on that trip. It was halfway through “I’m Sorry Momma” when I realized this was not only not a good idea, but also impossible. Perhaps if Coach McPherson had taught me a memory jogger for numbers 11-50, I might have been able to do it.

Instead, I decided I would share with you my musical journey from Los Angeles to Nashville. I’m sure there are a lot of bad musicians out there who could sympathize, empathize, and maybe even harmonize with a musical journey between these two cities, if that was what I was referring to. However, I am simply referring to the soundtrack of the skies. I have set the ipod to shuffle on all songs. As long as I remember, I will write each song title and artist below. In a completely non-condescending font, I highly doubt any of you will recognize all of these songs. So take this opportunity to expand your horizons. I will be inserting random comments along the way, because being on a plane isn’t all that interesting. But, I will try to keep it short since this has potential to be the longest post ever.

Not that you care, but the hardest part of this journey is going to be not hitting the next button. Buckle up, folks. In fact, go ahead and make sure your chair backs and tray tables are in the upright and locked position as well. Thank you and welcome aboard.

Whispering Truths – Red Shepherd
Another One Bites the Dust – Queen
I Miss My Friend – Daryl Worley
Daniel – Elton John
I’m Sorry Momma – Eminem
No One Loves Me Like You – Jars of Clay
Born to Be Wild – Steppenwolf
Hard Habit to Break – Chicago
Cowgirl’s Saddle – Garth Brooks
[The woman in the window seat in front of me just went to the bathroom. I promise not to update you on all trips to the lavatory, but this is the girl who, on a full flight, tried not to let anyone sit beside her because “she gets sick on planes.” ...So many problems with this scenario.]
Love Me Do – The Beatles
[This song begins a lot like the Sesame Street theme song. So much so, in fact, that I wondered when I had gotten the Sesame Street theme song]
Taxi – Harry Chapin
Before He Cheats – Carrie Underwood-Fisher
Turf’s Up – Brad Paisley
Take the Keys to My Heart – Garth Brooks
Karin Boye’s Evening Prayer – as performed by the DLHS Concert Chorus, circa 2003
[I am getting an incredible amount of odd enjoyment from this experience. This is probably a bad idea, because the anticipation for the next song is similar to Christmas Eve. Thus, each song goes by a little slower.]
Excuse Me Mr. – Ben Harper
When a Man Loves a Woman – Percy Sledge
This is the Way We Ball – Lil’ Flip
[I like a little rap as much as the next accountant, but I blame my brother for that one. Though I do like to floss, and all my diamonds do gloss.]
Owner of a Lonely Heart – Yes
[While we’re blaming family members… Dad, I hope you have googled me, stumbled upon this, and smiled.]
Roll Out – Ludacris
[I don’t think it’s fair to blame the brother more than once. I am at fault here as well. I promise I tried to clean the library up a while back. Crack slipper.]
Give – Third Day
[I can’t decide if Luda and Third Day back to back is hypocritical or well-rounded… Leaning toward hypocritical.]
Just For You – Sam Cooke
[Well, I understand pilots have bladders too, and I did make a promise earlier, but how qualified are Southwest flight attendants? One of them just replaced a peeing pilot. They’re not allowing anyone to come up to the front. The pilot is now on the phone, just hanging out. Either this puppy is going down, or the other pilot is getting some action.]
Pony – Ginuwine
[Pilots and flight attendants have returned to their respective posts. That was quick, but she was cute.]
My Old Friend – Tim McGraw
The Way You Do the Things You Do – The Temptations
With You – Jessica Simpson
[Brutal honesty, but, with you, I can say anything crazy.]
Against All Odds – Phil Collins
Thank You – Sly and the Family Stone
[Five minutes of my life I will never get back.]
Stay Gone – Jimmy Wayne
You Got Me – LoCash Cowboys
[When did not wearing pants in public become socially acceptable? IF I wore tights out of the house, I like to think people would frown on that.]
Love Me Good – Michael W. Smith
Let It Be – Performed by Joe Cocker
99.9% Sure – Brian McComas
Dead and Alive – Loren Sanders
[Out of 1,610 songs, it only took 35 to get to one that I wasn’t quite ready to share with the blog world. If you’re not affiliated with Taylor Christian Camp, sorry, but this explanation is not coming.]
Oh What a Night – The Four Seasons
[If you are affiliated with TCC, you can imagine my disbelief when I heard the music come on for this song right after the last. And yes, this is the actual song.]
Can’t Tell Me Nothin’ – Tim McGraw
Little Maggie – Ricky Skaggs
[Remember that no next button commitment? Wavering.]
What Would Jesus Do? – Big Tent Revival
What is Wrong – Red Shepherd
[I would pause for a moment of silence, but that would require a hitch in the playlist giddyup.]
Don’t Worry ‘Bout a Thing – SheDaisy
Wrapped Around – Brad Paisley
She Thinks She Needs Me – Andy Griggs
[The two gentlemen beside me have become fast friends. 4 hours of talking. Sure, there’s a chance they could be reading this now. But I dimmed the screen and shrunk the font whenever I was writing about the flight attendant rendezvous during drink service.]
It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye – Boyz II Men
[On Fridays, BNA is one of my favorite places on earth. I enjoyed California. Work went well. We had a little time to go to the beach. But Dorothy was right.]
Groovin’ – The Rascals
Dust in the Wind – Kansas
[I love how effectively this artist tied in with my most recent reference.]
It Did – Brad Paisley
[Captain just came on… Looks like this party may be on its last leg. It’s been fun. Sure beats a second run through Sky Mall.]

That was indeed the last song of the flight... I know a majority of society could not care less about this post. However, if you ever wondered, "What is that guy listening to," maybe this will help you realize you probably don't really want to know.

For the 8 people who have clicked on my blog from Denmark, I hope you guys get to experience such culture.

#40000feet50songs2newbestfriends1poorexcuseforablogpost

No comments:

Post a Comment